Sunday, September 1, 2013

Suicide and the Catholic Church

My brother and I recently attended the funeral service of our cousin in Wisconsin. He had been struggling for years with depression. The depression became so bad that he committed suicide. He was 53 years old. He was divorced and had two children who are high school age. His ex-wife was so gracious to plan all my cousins arrangements.

At the service there was a Protestant minister who read some scripture readings and prayers and then started to talk to my cousin's children about suicide. He did not want the children to be embarrassed at what their father had done. He really was preaching well to them until he started talking about some people who consider suicide a sin. He said that some of those people are Catholics who put up fences around their cemeteries and if a Catholic commits suicide they won't let them in! I know that this is not true at least at this time in history.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church #2280 states that everyone is responsible for his life before God who has given it to him. It is God who remains the sovereign Master of life.  # 2282 states that grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide.  #2283 states we should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives.

The Code of Cannon Law of the Catholic Church does not list suicide as a reason to deny a person a Catholic funeral or burial in a Catholic cemetery. We are commanded by Christ not to judge others so we leave final judgment  to God who alone knows each person's heart. The Catholic Church has mellowed on the subject of suicide over the centuries as knowledge of mental illness and depression has increased.

I decided to write to this pastor and explain to him what I just stated above. I told him that many non-Catholics have been taught the wrong ideas about the Catholic faith from pastors and family members who have not studied any Catholic teaching. Just hear-say!!! That is so unfortunate!. I feel that the room full of people in the funeral home who were at my cousin's service were given the wrong impression about the Catholic Church and where it stands concerning suicide. Now all those people will go tell other people, family and friends, wrong ideas. Is this the way to build bridges between different religions?

I just can't believe that in 2013 there is still so much IGNORANCE about Catholics. I do believe it is time to move on and respect all religious views even if you don't always agree with everything. I hope and pray that these divisions can be repaired. In my 57 years of being Catholic, I can honestly say that I have never heard any priest say anything negative about another religion. I am so proud to say that!

My cousin was baptized and raised a Catholic. His deceased parents were my Godparents. My cousin had drifted away from his faith. I am going to continue to pray for him and his children.


No comments:

Post a Comment